09.10.03 - Maryland Racing Commission - Final Regulations
FINAL ACTION ON REGULATIONS
MARYLAND REGISTER, VOLUME 45, ISSUE 8,
FRIDAY, APRIL 13, 2018
Subtitle 10 RACING COMMISSION
09.10.01 Thoroughbred Rules
Business Regulation Article, §11-210, Annotated Code of Maryland
Notice of Final Action
On October 25, 2018, the Maryland Racing Commission adopted amendments to Regulations .17, .28, and .88 under COMAR 09.10.01 Thoroughbred Rules. This action, which was proposed for adoption in 45:17 Md. R. 806—807 (August 17, 2018), has been adopted as proposed.
Effective Date: November 19, 2018.
J. MICHAEL HOPKINS
.17 Entries, Declarations, and Scratches.
A. — H. (text unchanged)
[H-1. A horse participating in a turf race at Laurel Park or Pimlico Race Course may only use the following types of shoes:
(2) Queen’s Plate;
(3) Queen’s Plate XT;
(4) Silver Queen; or
(5) Factory Wedge.]
I. — Y. (text unchanged)
Z. Declaration in Purse Races and Overnight Handicaps.
(1) [A horse may be declared out of a race before the time established by the association as scratch time, if:
(a) The declaration does not bring the number of betting interests below eight; and
(b) The right to declare out is determined by lot when necessary.
(2) Notwithstanding the provisions of §AA(1) of this regulation, the] The stewards may, for cause, allow a horse to be declared out of a race [when the betting interests are eight or below].
[(3)] (2) If a horse is declared out of a race under the provisions of [§AA(2)] §Z(1) of this regulation, the stewards shall prohibit the horse from running out-of-State for a period [not] up to [exceed 5] 10 days starting with the day of the race from which the horse was declared out.
[(4)] (3) (text unchanged)
AA. — XX. (text unchanged)
A. — E. (text unchanged)
F. Multiple Ownership.
(1) — (10) (text unchanged)
(11) Coupled Horses.
(a) (text unchanged)
(b) Except as provided in this subsection, horses [shall] may be [coupled] uncoupled at the time of entry for betting purposes if the horses have commonality of ownership.
(c) (text unchanged)
(d) If a race is split into two or more divisions, horses [required to be coupled under] subject to the provisions of §F(11)(b) of this regulation shall be seeded in separate divisions, if possible, but the divisions in which they compete and the post positions shall be determined by lot.
(12) (text unchanged)
G. — H. (text unchanged)
.88 Pick (n) Jackpot.
A. — E. (text unchanged)
F. A Pick (n) Jackpot bet shall be refunded if:
(1) For any reason, 50 percent or more of the races scheduled as a part of this bet are cancelled or declared a "no contest"; or
[(2) Two or more races comprising the Pick (n) Jackpot betting for that day are moved from the turf to the main track after the close wagering for the Pick (n) Jackpot; or]
[(3)] (2) (text unchanged)
G. (text unchanged)
H. Races Moved from Turf to Main Track.
[(1)] If one or more of the races comprising the Pick (n) Jackpot is moved from the turf to the main track after the close of wagering for the Pick (n) Jackpot, each selection on a Pick (n) Jackpot ticket for that race shall be considered a winning selection.
[(2) If two or more of the races comprising the Pick (n) Jackpot are moved from the turf to the main track after the close of wagering for the Pick (n) Jackpot, a Pick (n) Jackpot bet shall be refunded under §F(2) of this regulation.]
I. — O. (text unchanged)
A.—A-1. (text unchanged)
B. Eligibility to Claim.
(1) Except as provided in §B(2) and (3) of this regulation, to be eligible to claim, a licensed owner, registered stable, or other multiple ownership entity shall designate, as the person who will assume control and responsibility of a claimed horse, a licensed trainer who has been assigned stabling on grounds under the jurisdiction of the Commission.
(2) (text unchanged)
(3) A trainer who is also licensed as an owner, and whose trainer’s license is suspended, is not eligible to claim a horse as an owner during the term of the suspension.
C. — R. (text unchanged)