2020 State Apprenticeship Expansion Grant - Maryland Apprenticeship and Training Program (MATP)
On June 26, 2020, the United States Department of Labor Employment and Training Administration awarded MD Labor $6,012,294 for a three-year grant period, spanning July 1, 2020 – June 30, 2023. The funds are designed to expand the national Registered Apprenticeship system by funding baseline activities that increase MD Labor’s ability to serve, improve, and strategically scale the Registered Apprenticeship model and to fund innovations aimed at using Registered Apprenticeships as a tool for developing the economy and building infrastructure. In accordance with these expectations, MD Labor is focusing on the following six goals outlined by the grant program:
- National Apprenticeship System Building;
- System Alignment for Apprenticeship Expansion;
- Improving Data Sharing and Data Integrity;
- General Business Outreach, Technology, and/or Technical Assistance;
- Apprenticeship Diversification/New Industry Goals; and,
- Diversity and Inclusion and/or Special Population Goals.
MD Labor will utilize a variety of different approaches to achieve these goals. Activities vary from updating the website and customized State vehicle wrapping with outreach messaging, to integrating the New Americans Initiative into Registered Apprenticeship. While the State Apprenticeship Expansion Grant supports all these activities, the scope of this policy is specific to activities aimed at achieving goals 4, 5, and 6. These are the:
- 2021 Maryland Community College Apprenticeship Initiative;
- 2021 Maryland Youth Apprenticeship Initiative; and
- Sponsor Apprenticeship Incentive Reimbursement Program.
Additionally, as the purpose of the State Apprenticeship Expansion Grant is to expand and diversify Registered Apprenticeship opportunities, MD Labor expects that all Registered Apprentices gained through the above activities will be newly registered apprentices.
For additional grant information, contact:
David A. Minges, Apprenticeship Grant Program Manager
Division of Workforce Development and Adult Learning
Maryland Department of Labor
1100 N. Eutaw Street, Room 209
Baltimore, MD 21201