Skip to Content Accessibility Information

Links to Business Licenses, Construction Licenses and Other Licenses

Almost all businesses in Maryland need a business license issued by the Clerks of the Circuit Court. Contact the Clerk of the Circuit Court in your county or Baltimore City.

Construction licenses are issued by the Clerks of the Circuit Court and are required for commercial work and new home construction.

Any person or business organization must obtain a construction license from the appropriate Clerk of the Circuit Court for :

  1. work on or in any structure which requires use of paint, stone, brick, mortar, wood, cement, structural iron or steel, sheet iron, galvanized iron, metallic piping, tin, lead, electric wiring or other metal, or any other building material; or
  2. paving or curbing on sidewalks or streets; or
  3. excavating
  4. A contractor licensed by the Home Improvement Commission is not required to hold a construction license issued by the Clerks of the Circuit Court in order for the contractor to enter into home improvement contracts. A construction license issued by the Clerks of the Circuit Court may be necessary for contractors that enter into commercial or agricultural construction contracts.

Department of Assessments and Taxation - 410-767-1340

  1. Forming a legal entity, i.e. corporation, LLC, LLP, LP or business trust.
  2. Trade name registration - 410-767-1170
    Needed to do business in a name other than your legal name, dba, t/a.
  3. Reserving a business name for future use - 410-767-1340
  4. Registering a foreign (non-MD) corporation - 410-767-1340.

Department of the Environment - 410-537-3000

  1. Environmental Permits - 410-537-3772
  2. Asbestos Contractor License - 410-537-3200
  3. Lead Paint Accreditation - 410-537-4199
  4. Well Driller License - 410-537-3644

Insurance Administration - 410-468-2000

  1. Insurance companies - 410-468-2104
  2. Agents/Brokers - 888-204-6198
  3. HMO’s, Dental plans, motor clubs, fraternal societies - 410-468-2244

Office of the Attorney General - 410-576-6300

  1. Homebuilder Registration - 410-576-6573
  2. Consumer Complaint Hotline - 410-528-8662