Notice-Additional Training Benefits (ATB) - Unemployment Insurance
Maryland UI law Section 8-812, additional training benefits (ATB), became effective March 1, 2011. The law allows for up to 26 weeks of additional Unemployment Insurance (UI) benefits at your regular weekly benefit amount. It may be paid over a two year period determined by the effective date of your initial claim for UI benefits. In order to be considered for ATB eligibility certain requirements must be met. In general, you may be entitled to benefits under this section if:
- You are unemployed.
- You have exhausted all rights to unemployment insurance benefits under both federal and state law.
- Your initial UI claim was due to a job separation from a declining occupation or due to an involuntary and indefinite separation from employment as a result of a permanent reduction of operations.
- You are enrolled in a training program approved by the Secretary or in a job training program authorized by the federal Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act (WIOA) substituted for Workforce Investment Act of 1998, as amended, that will lead to employment in an occupation that is in demand.
- You enrolled in the training program prior to the end of the benefit year established due to the separation from the employment as described in #3.
- You are not receiving similar stipends or other allowances for non-training costs.
These benefits cannot be paid unless, in addition to the requirements listed above, the training is approved by the Secretary under Section 8-903 of the Maryland UI law and Section 09.33.01.06 of the Code of Maryland Regulations. Approved training is determined, in part, by the following criteria:
- The training is supported by the WIOA.
- The training is full time (unless supported by WIOA).
- The training will prepare you for employment in a demand occupation.
In order to be considered for ATB you must apply for the benefits by calling the telephone number listed below. When contacting the Reemployment and Trade Unit to apply for benefits, you will be asked to provide information regarding the employment that resulted in your filing an initial UI claim. You will also be asked to provide information about the training/school you are attending. Be prepared to provide the facility name and address, the type of training you are receiving, and the start and end dates of the training. After all information has been obtained a determination will be made as to whether you are eligible for the ATB benefits. If it is determined all requirements have been met, you will be required to provide this unit with training attendance forms for each week of ATB requested.
If you think you meet the requirements for ATB and would like to apply please call the Reemployment and Trade Unit at 410-767-2534 or 410-767-2630 Monday - Friday, except for official state holidays, between the hours of 8:00 AM - 3:30 PM.
NOTE: PLEASE DO NOT CONTACT A UI CLAIM CENTER OR ATTEMPT TO FILE FOR THESE BENEFITS OVER THE INTERNET. YOU MUST CONTACT THE REEMPLOYMENT AND TRADE UNIT TO APPLY. APPLICATIONS FOR ATB CANNOT BE TAKEN UNTIL ALL RIGHTS TO UNEMPLOYMENT INSURANCE BENEFITS UNDER BOTH FEDERAL AND STATE LAW HAVE BEEN EXHAUSTED.