Renew or Reinstate a Home Inspector License - Real Estate Appraisers, Appraisal Management Companies and Home Inspectors
Please read ALL requirements and instructions before proceeding with the application process.
A home inspector license must be renewed by the second anniversary of the issuance of the license and every two years thereafter. The Commission will mail renewal applications and instructions approximately 30 days prior to the expiration date of the current license. If a licensee's failure to receive a license renewal packet is due to his or her failure to advise the Commission of a change of address, the Commission is not responsible for late renewals or any late fees that might be imposed. A home inspector must provide evidence of a minimum of $150,000 of general liability insurance in order to renew a license.
After a home inspector license has been renewed one time, a licensee is required to complete 30 hours of continuing professional competency education. Educational hours from a continuing professional competency course satisfy the requirement if the course is approved by the Commission and the Commission determines that the course increases the licensee's knowledge of the provision of home inspection services.
NOTE: Per COMAR 09.36.08.02(C) Up to 30 percent of the total continuing professional competency hours required by §A of this regulation may be obtained in other than a classroom setting.
You may obtain a list of the educational providers approved to offer continuing professional competency courses - a complete listing of approved provider courses.
A home inspector who has failed to renew a license for any reason may reinstate the license within five years after the license expires if the applicant pays the renewal fee of $325 and a reinstatement fee of $50 and provides evidence of having completed a minimum of 30 hours of Commission-approved continuing professional competency education.
Reinstatement of an Expired License
The Commission may not reinstate the license of an individual who for any reason fails to apply for reinstatement within five years after the license has expired.
BEFORE YOU BEGIN:
- For best results, we recommend using the most recent version of your browser to access the electronic licensing programs. You can update your browser at no additional cost by visiting our browser information section.
- When you go online, you will create a password by identifying yourself with certain personal information. Then, with this password and your registration number, you will be able to apply for, renew, or update a license record at your convenience with a password unique and more memorable to you.
- We are collecting your e-mail addresses for Commission use in order to facilitate our communication with you.
TO RENEW OR REINSTATE YOUR LICENSE:
- Click on the “Renew or reinstate a home inspector license online” link at the top of this page.
- Enter your registration number exactly as it appears on the data card. Follow the instructions to create your password or to use your previously created password.
- When confirmation is received that the transaction has been completed, PRINT the confirmation screen for your records. Please note that printing the confirmation screen only confirms the transaction, not the issuance of a license.