Educational Materials and Resources - Student Loan Ombudsman - Financial Regulation
(Last reviewed or updated: February 14, 2023)
The Maryland Student Loan Ombudsman’s Educational Curriculum is designed for those who are seeking, already have, or are responsible for repaying, federal and private student loans. The curriculum:
- Familiarizes borrowers with their rights and obligations;
- Explains how to apply for federal financial aid using the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) process;
- Explains the repayment options and various potential payment programs;
- Explains potential loan forgiveness options and how to make use of those options; and
- Explains and defines important loan-related financial terms.
The educational curriculum is available as a downloadable guide and video modules:
Student Loan Ombudsman’s Educational Curriculum (PDF)
MODULE 2: Monthly Payment Obligations
Definition of student loan servicer; starting your student loan repayment; keeping track of your loans; loan consolidation; subsidized and unsubsidized loans; payment deferment and forbearance; student loan default; additional resources
Transcript – Module 2
Watch on YouTube
Maryland Student Loan Borrower’s Bill of Rights
The Maryland Student Loan Borrower’s Bill of Rights (PDF) applies to Maryland residents who are repaying student loans. The Bill of Rights describes the protections to which borrowers are entitled and the obligations of the companies that collect and process borrower payments, named “student loan servicers”. Learn more here.
- National Office of the U.S. Department of Education - Repayment, consolidation, and postponement options for federal loans.
- Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB)
- CFPB Questions About Student Loans
- CFPB Private Education Loan Ombudsman - created to assist private student loan borrowers. You may file a private student loan complaint using the online student loan complaint form.
- Tips for student loan borrowers
- Repay student debt - Know your options
- U.S. Department of Education's Federal Student Aid Office (FSA):
- National advocate: National Consumer Law Center