Skilled Immigrant Task Force - Workforce Development & Adult Learning
The Skilled Immigrant Task Force collaborates across organizations to advance workforce system accessibility and career opportunities for foreign-trained individuals in Maryland.
Skilled Immigrants are those who have acquired extensive education and/or occupational experience abroad. Many come to Maryland ready to work, offering great benefits to local industry, including global skills, multilingualism, workplace diversity, and cultural knowledge. Unfortunately, prior to securing employment in their professional fields, skilled immigrants often experience significant challenges including limited English language proficiency, costly credential evaluations of their foreign degrees, complex licensing and recertification processes, lack of professional networks, and lack of knowledge on alternative career pathways.
The Task Force believes that the State of Maryland can lead the way in creating a win-win environment in which immigrants secure jobs matching their professional and educational backgrounds while helping the business community more readily meet its workforce needs.
Learn more about the Task Force’s efforts:
- Maryland Skilled Immigrant Task Force Annual Report - FY2022 & FY2023
- Maryland Skilled Immigrant Task Force Annual Report - FY2021
- Maryland Skilled Immigrant Task Force Annual Report - FY2020
- Maryland Skilled Immigrant Task Force Annual Report - FY2019
- Maryland Skilled Immigrant Task Force Annual Report - FY2018
- Maryland Skilled Immigrant Task Force Annual Report - Spring 2018
2023 Needs and Capacity Assessment for Serving Limited English Proficient (LEP) Individuals and Internationally Trained Professionals (ITP)
The purpose of this Needs and Capacity Survey was to assess how Maryland’s WIOA Titles I, II, and II, and DWDAL Central Staff serve LEP individuals and ITPs. Responses will drive the creation of future technical assistance and cross training opportunities.
Resources created by the Task Force:
Career Pathways in Engineering in Maryland
This career pathways guide provides an overview of resources available to assist internationally trained engineers in Maryland return to their profession.
Staff Resource Guide for Skilled Immigrants in Maryland
This resource guide is designed to assist service providers who are working to support work-authorized internationally trained professionals. It includes resources that are available to skilled immigrants nationally and additional support services in Maryland.
Quick Start Guide Flyer: Financial Literacy Guide - Education, Services, and Resources for Maryland Immigrants
Quick Start Guide: Financial Literacy Guide - Education, Services, and Resources for Maryland Immigrants
This guide lists a variety of financial education providers throughout Maryland as well as information about common financial questions, including loans, taxes, unemployment, and frauds. This guide is also available in Amharic, Chinese, Dari, French, Korean, Pashto, Spanish, Swahili, Tagalog, Tigrinya, and Vietnamese.
- ፈጣን የመጀመር መመርያ - የፋይናንስ ትምህርት መመርያ – ለሜሪላንድ ለሚገኙ ስደተኞች ትምህርት፣ አገልግሎትና ምንጮች (Amharic)
- 快速入门指南 - 金融素养指南——为马里兰州移民提供的教育、服务和资源 (Chinese)
- راهنمای آغاز سريع - راهنمای سواد آموزی مالی –تعليم و تربيه , خدمات و منابع برای مهاجرين ماريلند (Dari)
- Guide de démarrage rapide - Guide d'éducation financière - Éducation, services et ressources pour les immigrants du Maryland (French)
- 빠른 시작 안내 - 금융 이해력 안내 – 메릴랜드 이민자를 위한 교육, 서비스 및 리소스 (Korean)
- ژر پٻل لارښود - د مالي سواد زده کړې لارښود - زده کړه، خدمتونھ، ا و سرچینې میریلٻنډ کې کډوالو لپاره (Pashto)
- Guía de inicio rápido - Guía de alfabetización financiera: educación, servicios y recursos para inmigrantes de Maryland (Spanish)
- Mwongozo wa Haraka wa Kuanza - Mwongozo wa Ujuzi wa Kifedha – Elimu, Huduma, na Rasilimali za Wahamiaji wa Maryland (Swahili)
- Gabay sa Mabilis na Pagsisimula – Edukasyon, Mga Serbisyo, at Mga Mapagkukunan para sa Mga Imigrante ng Maryland (Tagalog)
- ቅልጡፍ መጀመርታ - ናይ ፋይናንስ ትምህርቲ መምርሒ – ትምህርቲ፣ ኣገልግሎትን ንናይ ሜሪላንድ ስደተኛታት ዝኸውን ሓገዛትን - (Tigrinya)
- Hướng dẫn Bắt đầu Nhanh - Hướng dẫn về Kiến thức Tài chính – Giáo dục, Dịch vụ và Nguồn lực cho Người nhập cư ở Maryland (Vietnamese)
Resource Guide for New American Job Seekers
The Maryland Skilled Immigrant Task Force created this guide to provide helpful statewide and local resources for New American Job Seekers. It includes lists of nationwide organizations and services/programs provided to the New American jobseekers. Nationwide and local resources with descriptions, phone numbers, and links are provided. This guide is also available in Arabic, Chinese, Dari, French, Korean, Pashto, Spanish, Swahili, and Vietnamese.
- الدليل المرجعيللأمريكيين الجدد الباحثين عن عمل (Arabic)
- 新美国人 求职者资源指南 (Chinese)
- راھنمای مناب ع برای پناھجویان جدید آمریکای ی (Dari)
- Guide de ressources pour les nouveaux américains en recherche d'emploi (French)
- 리소스 가이드 새로운 미국인 구직자용 (Korean)
- د سرچینې لارښو د د نوي امریکاٻانو دندې لټونکو لپار ه (Pashto)
- Guía de recursos para nuevos solicitantes de empleo estadounidenses (Spanish)
- Mwongozo wa Rasilimali Kwa Watafutaji Kazi wa Marekani walio Wageni (Swahili)
- Hướng dẫn về Nguồn lực cho Người tìm Việc làm Mới ở Hoa Kỳ (Vietnamese)
International Talent One-Pager
The Maryland Skilled Immigrant Task Force created this one-pager to highlight the benefits of hiring foreign-trained professionals for businesses and employers. It also includes local organizations serving New Americans and fast facts on New Americans in Maryland.