State-Chartered Banks, Trust Companies and Credit Unions - Financial Regulation
Depository Supervision Unit
The Depository Supervision Unit is responsible for the supervision and examination of all Maryland-chartered banks, credit unions, and trust companies.
For regulatory examination related questions, please contact Teresa Louro, Deputy Commissioner, at 410-230-6022.
Depository Corporate Applications Unit
The Depository Corporate Applications Unit is responsible for the review and processing of all applications filed by banks, credit unions, and trust companies for new charters, mergers, acquisitions, affiliates, stock conversions, changes in control, branches, foreign bank offices, field of membership changes, and all other approvals required under Titles 1 through 6 of Maryland's Financial Intuitions Code.
For general bank or credit union application questions, please e-mail your questions to Michelle Denoncourt.
Bank Applications and Forms
- Bank Branch and ATM Application
- Instructions for Foreign Bank Office Permit
- Application for Foreign Bank Office Permit
- Application for Renewal of Foreign Bank Office Permit
- De Novo Bank Charter Application (FDIC Interagency Charter Application) (Word version)
- Instructions for Registration of Trust Powers by Out-of-State Bank
- Registration to Exercise Trust or Fiduciary Powers by Out-of-State Bank
Credit Union Applications and Forms
- Credit Union Branch and ATM Application
- Federal Credit Union Charter Application (NCUA Federal Credit Union Charter Application)
Additional Documents and Forms
- Reporting Form for Fraud, Theft, or Forgery, and Convictions (Word)
- Emergency Preparedness Guide for Maryland-Chartered Banks, Credit Unions, and Trust Companies - Revised January 8, 2020
- SAMPLE: Required Notice of Housing Counseling Programs and Services Form that Lender Must Provide to Borrower and List of HUD Approved Housing Counseling Agencies (provided by the Maryland Department of Housing and Community Development)
- Maryland Affordable Housing Trust Application for Financial Institution Outside the State of Maryland
Charter Conversion or Notice of Discontinuation: Please contact Teresa Louro, Deputy Commissioner, 410-230-6022.
Bank and Credit Union Fees
- Affiliate: $750
- Articles of Amendment: $20
- Bank Holding Company: $1,500
- Bank Branch: $600
- Conversions - To State-Chartered: $7,000
- Credit Union Branch: $100
- Foreign Bank Representative Office Permit: $500
- Mergers/Acquisitions - Among 2 Banks: $3,000
- Mergers/Acquisitions - Among 3 or more Banks: $5,000
- New Bank Charters: $15,000
- New Credit Union Charters: $500
- New Non-Depository Trust Company: $15,000
- Certified Copies of Documents: $50
- Certificate of Valid Charter: Requested by bank or on behalf of: $25
- Certificate of Valid Charter: Requested by a person other than a bank: $50