Helpful Resources for Claimants - Unemployment Insurance
This webpage includes several resources to help claimants (a claimant refers to an individual who submits a claim for unemployment insurance benefits) understand the unemployment insurance (UI) process. This includes information about how to apply for UI benefits (also called filing an initial claim), use BEACON, file an appeal, and use the Job Contact and Reemployment Activity Log, among many other topics.
- If you are unemployed, you may file a claim for unemployment insurance benefits in BEACON or by telephone at 667-207-6520. For a basic overview of the UI process, see the Information for New Claimants webpage.
BEACON UI System
- BEACON is Maryland’s online UI system. Claimants can use BEACON to complete several UI tasks, 24/7, including filing an initial claim, filing weekly claim certifications, reviewing payment history, and much more.
- BEACON Claimant User Guide
- BEACON Section of the Claimant Most Frequently Asked Questions Webpage
- BEACON Glossary of Terms
- BEACON Tutorial Videos
- Tutorial videos are available on YouTube and on the Maryland Division of Unemployment Insurance webpage. Video topics include creating an account in the BEACON system, filing a claim in BEACON, navigating the system, and more.
- MD Unemployment for Claimants mobile app
- Lower Appeals
A claimant who disagrees with a determination that impacts their eligibility for UI benefits may file an appeal with the Lower Appeals Division.
- Board of Appeals
A claimant who disagrees with a Lower Appeals determination may file an appeal with the Board of Appeals. Only Lower Appeals determinations can be appealed to the Board of Appeals.
- Lower Appeals
- Benefit Payment Control - Audits, Overpayments, and Fraud
- Benefit Payment Options - Direct Deposit or Check FAQs
- Contact Information for Claimants
- Frequently Asked Questions for Claimants
- Answers to questions about filing a new claim for benefits, eligibility requirements, filing a weekly claim certification, appeals, and more.
- Income Tax Information
- Information and Documents Needed for Claims Filing
- Job Dislocation, Making Smart Financial Choices after a Job Loss
- Maryland’s Valid Reemployment Activities List
- Maryland’s Work Search Requirements
- Notice - Additional Training Benefits (ATB)
- Unemployment Insurance Definitions
- Video - How to use MWE Job Contact and Reemployment Activity Log
- Video - Sometimes Good People Make Bad Decisions
- Work Sharing Information
Job Search and Reemployment Resources
- EARN Maryland
- Bridging Maryland’s skills gap by partnering with businesses, offering educational opportunities, and preparing individuals for meaningful careers.
- Job Seeker Services
- Services for job seekers are offered virtually and at locations statewide. Services include job training, career counseling, youth workforce programs, apprenticeship programs, adult education, and more.